Extracts below. Read online: https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/01-08-2020-statement-on-the-fourth-...(2005)-emergency-committee-regarding-the-outbreak-of-coronavirus-disease-(covid-19)
1 August 2020 Statement
The fourth meeting of the Emergency Committee convened by the WHO Director-General under the International Health Regulations (IHR) (2005) regarding the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) took place on Friday, 31 July 2020 from 12:00 to 17:45 Geneva time (CEST)...
Advice to the WHO Secretariat
- Continue to distill and rapidly communicate lessons learned and best practices from the COVID-19 pandemic and national intra-action reviews.
- Continue to coordinate and mobilize global and regional multilateral organizations, partners and networks for robust political commitment and resourcing of COVID-19 pandemic preparedness and response, including for development of vaccines and therapeutics.
- Provide nuanced, pragmatic guidance on criteria for appropriate COVID-19 response activities to reduce the risk of response fatigue in the context of socio-economic pressures.
- Continue to support State Parties and partners in conducting active and community-based COVID-19 surveillance...
- Continue to work with partners to counter mis/disinformation and infodemics by developing and disseminating clear, tailored messaging on the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects; encourage and support individuals and communities to follow recommended public health and social measures. [...]
HIFA stands ready to contribute further to this effort, thanks to support from the Global Health Academy at the University of Edinburgh.
Best wishes, Neil
Let's build a future where people are no longer dying for lack of healthcare information - Join HIFA: www.hifa.org
HIFA profile: Neil Pakenham-Walsh is coordinator of the HIFA global health campaign (Healthcare In
formation For All - www.hifa.org ), a global community with almost 20,000 members in 180 countries, interacting on six global forums in four languages (English, French, Spanish, Portuguese). Twitter: @hifa_org FB: facebook.com/HIFAdotORG firstname.lastname@example.org