Dear Hifa,For those at the COP 25 in Madrid, Spain please join us for the exciting side event below.
How do farmers and keystakeholders in the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) experience climatechange? They have developed solutions and are ready to scale out!
A theatre performance fromthe community level in SADC will demonstrate this. Experience shows thatparticipatory theatre for policy engagement enables community participation indeveloping Climate-Smart Agriculture (CSA) solutions and advocate forengagement. Drawing on the latest scientific and development evidence twoinvestment ideas on scaling climate-smart agriculture will be pitched, followedby a panel discussion.
Among the pitching partners and panellists are Senior Officials from the SADC Member States, the Adaptation of African Agriculture (AAA) Initiative, the CGIARResearch Programme on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS), the International Maizeand Wheat Improvement Centre (CIMMYT), CareInternational, the Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources Policy AnalysisNetwork (FANRPAN), the Centre forCoordination of Agricultural Research in Southern Africa (CCARDESA), the World Bank, and the NDC Partnership.
The side event isco-facilitated by the SADC / German Development Cooperation (GIZ/BMZ) Adaptation to ClimateChange in Rural Areas in Southern Africa (ACCRA) programme.
Date and Time: Friday 6 December 2019, 16:30 –18:00hrs
Venue: RoomHelsinki, IFEMA Madrid Spain
Organizedby: FANRPAN, SADC, CCARDESA, CCAFS, AAA, CARE International, World Bank, SADC/GIZACCRA
Opening Remarks by thefacilitator Vitumbiko Chinoko (CAREInternational) 16:30 – 16:35
Speechesfrom Senior Representatives 16:35-55
- Mr Harsen Nyambe, African Union Commission, Head of Division: Environment, Climate Change, Water and Land Management
- Ms Sibongile Mavimbela Senior Programme Officer- Environment and Climate Change, SADC (TBC)
- A representative from the African Group of Negotiators (Agriculture) (TBC)
- A theatre performance showcasing how participatory approaches can inform investment decisions
- Two investment pitches from the SADC region
Investment Pitch 1: Climate-resilient agricultural development in SADC, based on youthinvolvement, ICTs and PPPs (a pitch from SADC, CCAFS, CCARDESA, FANRPAN, SACAU & SADC/GIZ ACCRA
· Presenter: Dr Bruce Campbell, Director, CCAFS
Investment Pitch 2: Transforming crop & livestock production systemsfor climate resilience in southern Africa (a pitch from ConservationInternational, CCARDESA, CIMMYT,Peace ParksFoundation, Rural-SelfHelp Development Association & SADC/GIZ ACCRA
Presenter: Dr Lufulesele Lubesa, Director, National AgricultureResearch, Lesotho
- A panel discussion with key players in CSA investment planning in Africa:
- Mrs Abir Lemseffer, Director General of Morocco Foodex and Director General of the Initiative for the Adaptation of African Agriculture to Climate Change
- Mr Jahan Chowdhury, Country Engagement Director, NDC Partnership
- Dr Evan Girvetz, Senior Scientist with the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
- A representative from the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (TBC)
- A representative from the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation SDC (TBC)
- A representative from the African Development Bank (TBC)
Closing Remarks 17:55–18:00
- H.E Sindiso Ngwenya, Policy Champion and Former Secretary-General of COMESA
Visit this page for regularupdates. http://www.ccardesa.org/events/stepping-engagement-climate-smart-agricul... will upload the investment pitches during theevent. Supplementary information, such as vulnerability analysis andfeasibility studies can be made available upon request by interestedpartners.
For further information oninvestment pitches, please contact hanna.sabass@giz.