Below are extracts from the Communication Initiative.
Full text and links to full report here:https://www.comminit.com/covid/content/people-communication-community-en...
A Contribution to the Work of the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response
Publication Date, March 24, 2021
"Despite the scale reached and the impact that resulted, conducting communication and community action work in the context of a pandemic has proved a struggle. The communication and community engagement perspective and learning, with the important analysis it provides, is often missing from the strategy."
Many thousands of COVID-19-focused communication and community engagement strategies have been implemented across all countries in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. With the hope of spotlighting these efforts and advocating for the centralisation of such approaches within the overall pandemic response, on March 21 2021, a group of 24 experts in the field of communication for social change and behaviour change participated online in the COVID-19 Independent Panel Roundtable on Communication and Community Engagement... To have such an impact, the experts suggest that effective international and national pandemic action (including preparation) requires:
- The development of policies that create the best possible spaces for effective action;
- A prominence for the voice, learning, and perspective of those most affected;
- The provision of accurate information that is clearly updated as that information changes;
- Regular, independent, data-driven feedback on the progress (or lack thereof) being made; and
- Financial and technical support that is at levels commensurate with the problems and challenges being faced...