Thanks Neil, for sharing about Dr Nabarro's Talk on 2 April on COVID and Older people.
Since questions are invited prior to his talk, it could be an opportunity for HIFA to propose the following by 1 April.
1. How should Low- and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs) prepare for care of the older people at the Primary Health Care settings and community settings in the context of COVID?
2. How can health care workers, community health care and social workers be supported to care for the Older people in the context of COVID?
The following is known (evidence-based publications from WHO and others):
- PHC often becomes the first line of contact in the health system for communities particularly older people.
- Older people amongst the vulnerable and marginalised population are often the most affected in any humanitarian emergency.
- Older people with comorbidities (diabetes, cancer, hypertension etc.) require continuum of care in the context of COVID.
- Older people are isolated and often without support in the context of COVID.
Happy to propose the above questions on behalf of HIFA if you all agree. [*see note below]
Dr Meena Nathan Cherian MBBS, MD (Anaesthesia)
Hon. Prof. Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, WHO Collaborating Centre, Western University, Ontario, Canada.
Senior Advisor, Global Action, International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG), Chatelaine, Switzerland. www.siog.org
Director, Emergency & Surgical Care program, Geneva Foundation for Medical Education & Research (GFMER), Geneva, Switzerland. www.gfmer.ch/surgery
HIFA profile: Meena Cherian works with the Programme: Emergency & Essential Surgical Care, Clinical Procedures Unit (CPR), Department of Health Systems Policies and Workforce, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. www.who.int/surgery cherianm15 AT gmail.com
[*Note from HIFA moderator (Neil PW): Thanks Meena, these are important questions - please go ahead and mention you are a member of HIFA and point people to our dedicated corona RSS feed: http://www.hifa.org/news/coronavirus
I encourage other HIFA members to put their own questions to Dr Nabarro.
More info here: http://www.hifa.org/dgroups-rss/coronavirus-282-videoconference-david-na...
You can send questions using this link www.slido.com and entering the following event code: CSO-COVID19 ]