Dear HIFA colleagues,
We can now look back on 12-18 months of experience of the COVID-19 pandemic. Some countries have now entered a recovery phase with relatively few new cases and deaths (at least for now). Other countries continue to be facing heavy caseloads. Almost ever country has been affected and we have seen that essential health services - reproductive health, child health, mental health, non-communicable disease, surgery - have been severely disrupted in many ways. Even for those countries that are in a recovery phase, there are major challenges in terms of late presentation of disease and delayed access to surgery.
What have we learned? How can we better maintain essential health services during a pandemic? What action(s) did your government take that facilitated (or hindered) the delivery of services? How can we build resilience moving forwards?
1. Looking back over the past 18 months, in what ways has COVID-19 affected your work? What impact has COVID-19 had on your organisation or your health facility? How have things changed over time and where are you now?
2. How have you responded to these challenges? What worked well and not so well?
3. A health service is only as good as the people who work within it. Health workers have been under extraordinary pressures for several months on end. What have we learned and how can we better support health workers going forward?
4. We have noted there is not only disruption to the delivery of services, but also in demand for services, associated with exaggerated fears of contagion from health facilities. How have attitudes changed in your experience/country?
The WHO-supported HIFA project on Maintaining essential health services during COVID-19 (and beyond) invites you to join the HIFA forums for our third and final thematic discussion: What have we learned?
The discussin will start on 15 November and continue through to 19 December. If you are not already a HIFA member, join here! www.hifa.org/join
Highlights of earlier HIFA discussions are available as two Action Briefs on the WHO website:
1. HIFA: A Thematic Discussion on Maintaining Essential Health Services
2. How has COVID-19 affected delivery of EHS? HIFA 2nd Discussion
Best wishes, Neil