You are cordially invited to join Breakthrough ACTION for a webinar on supporting and transforming social and gender norms for family planning. The webinar will be in English with simultaneous interpretation in French. Additional details are below.
Supporting and Transforming Social and Gender Norms for Family Planning
June 4, 2020
9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. EDT / 13:00 - 14:15 GMT
The “social” aspect of social and behavior change (SBC) is a critical component of achieving behavior change and improved health outcomes and is particularly important to achieving family planning (FP) goals. However, social change is complex. It includes normative dimensions, including gender norms, policy and structural factors, and social accountability approaches. In many cases, social change cuts across multiple health and development sectors and can serve as an opportunity to promote greater integration within programming. The Shared Agenda for Social and Behavior Change in Family Planning (https://breakthroughactionandresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/It-...) highlights areas that the community of SBC practitioners, donors, and researchers, would like to achieve together, including a greater capacity to identify and respond to social and gender factors influencing FP outcomes, greater consensus on a prioritized set of measurement indicators and processes, and strengthened linkages between actors working on social change initiatives. In this webinar, presenters will explore these topics looking at the challenges and learnings from different vantage points.
This webinar will be offered in English with simultaneous interpretation in French.
- Chris Galavotti, Senior Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- The role of social and gender norms in adolescent sexual and reproductive health: Insights from GAGE (Nicola Jones, Director, Gender and Adolescence: Global Evidence (GAGE); Principal Research Fellow, Overseas Development Institute)
- Seeking consensus on a prioritized set of measurement indicators and processes to measure the social change that affects FP (Bryan Shaw, Institute for Reproductive Health/Learning Collaborative for Advancing Normative Change for Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health)
- Prioritizing social and gender norms for FP post-2020 (Cate Lane, Family Planning 2020)
- The trials and pitfalls of social change: What do we need to do? (Telesphore Kabore, Senior Community Health Advisor, Breakthrough ACTION/Save the Children)
About the Shared Agenda Webinar Series:
The Shared Agenda for Social and Behavior Change in Family Planning (https://breakthroughactionandresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/It-...) was developed to catalyze coordination among funders and implementers seeking to create impact in family planning (FP) through social and behavior change interventions. The Shared Agenda identifies five strategic priorities in SBC and FP that need greater coordination and/or investment and proposes opportunities for coordination and collaboration that will enhance complementarity across investments. Breakthrough ACTION is continuing to socialize the Shared Agenda through a webinar series, held every other month from January to September 2020. Each webinar focuses on one of the Shared Agenda priorities, inviting donors, governments, multilateral organizations, and implementing partners to discuss successes, gaps, and how partners can work together to implement the recommendations.
HIFA profile: Marcela Aguilar is Director of Communications at Breakthrough ACTION, Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Washington DC. www.breakthroughactionandresearch.org marcela.aguilar AT jhu.edu