From my work in oncology l have observed the reluctance of health professionals to use the whole spectrum of pain management medicines to manage patients. There is some 'opioid phobia' l have observed with prescribers, dispensers and users of medicines.
Possible projects HIFA could work on in relation to Palliative Care could be on:
1. Demystifying the use of opiods in pain management in palliative care.
2. Finding ways of intetgrating palliative care through the continuum of care (through systemic reviews, research, etc)
3. Online training on the basics of palliative care for health professionals.
4. Development and dissemination of online resources targeting health professionals and patients on palliative care (in collaboration with those already in the field to avoid duplication)
5. Advocating for Palliative care training in schools training health professionals as part of the core training.
HIFA Profile: Venus Mushininga is a pharmacist at the Cancer Centre Pharmacy in Zimbabwe. Professional interests: Oncology, Dissemination of information through to Health Professionals and the public, Research. She is co-coordinator of the HIFA working group on information for Prescribers and Users of Medicines.
Email: vmushininga AT gmail.com